Re: Performance issue with thousands of calls to procedures and functions? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Performance issue with thousands of calls to procedures and functions?
Date
List pgsql-performance

pá 30. 7. 2021 v 10:04 odesílatel Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> napsal:
Hi

pá 30. 7. 2021 v 10:02 odesílatel Imre Samu <pella.samu@gmail.com> napsal:
Hi Daniel,

side note:

Maybe you can tune the "function" with some special query optimizer attributes:
     IMMUTABLE | STABLE | VOLATILE |  PARALLEL SAFE

so in your example:
     create or replace function f1(int) returns double precision as
$$
declare
begin
  return 1;
end;
$$ language plpgsql IMMUTABLE PARALLEL SAFE;

It cannot help in this case. PL/pgSQL routine (and expression calculations) is one CPU every time.

IMMUTABLE helps, surely, because it is translated to constant in this case.

Regards

Pavel

Regards

Pavel

PARALLEL SAFE : indicates that the function is safe to run in parallel mode without restriction.
IMMUTABLE : indicates that the function cannot modify the database and always returns the same result when given the same argument values; that is, it does not do database lookups or otherwise use information not directly present in its argument list. If this option is given, any call of the function with all-constant arguments can be immediately replaced with the function value.
"""

Regards,
  Imre