Re: proposal: searching in array function - array_position - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal: searching in array function - array_position
Date
Re: proposal: searching in array function - array_position  (Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On 28/01/15 08:15, Pavel Stehule wrote:

<mailto:Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com>>:

    On 1/27/15 4:36 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

        It is only partially identical - I would to use cache for
        array_offset, but it is not necessary for array_offsets ..
        depends how we would to modify current API to support externally
        cached data.

    Externally cached data?

Some from these functions has own caches for minimize access to typcache
(array_map, array_cmp is example). And in first case, I am trying to
push these information from fn_extra, in second case I don't do it,
because I don't expect a repeated call (and I am expecting so type cache
will be enough).

You actually do caching via fn_extra in both case and I think that's the correct way, and yes that part can be moved common function.

I also see that the documentation does not say what is returned by array_offset if nothing is found (it's documented in code but not in sgml).

rebased + fixed docs

Regards

Pavel

--