Re: proposal: integration bloat tables (indexes) to core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal: integration bloat tables (indexes) to core
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 6/13/16 12:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
At the same time, I'm pretty suspicious of putting stuff like this in
core, because the expectations for cross-version compatibility go up
by orders of magnitude as soon as we do that.

On a first go-round, I don't think we should add entire views, but rather functions that serve specific purposes. For table bloat that means a function that returns what the heap size should be based on pg_stats. For locking, it means providing information about which PID is blocking which PID. After that, most everything else is just window dressing.

could be

if you look on current bloating queries, then you can see pretty complex queries due implementation on high level. C implementation should be more faster. There are lot of changes in core, but these queries is working for PostgreSQL 8.2 to today, so they are relatively stable.

Regards

Pavel

855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461