Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

st 29. 3. 2023 v 12:17 odesílatel Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> napsal:
On 24.03.23 08:04, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Maybe I can divide the  patch 0002-session-variables to three sections -
> related to memory management, planning and execution?

Personally, I find the existing split not helpful.  There is no value
(to me) in putting code, documentation, and tests in three separate
patches.  This is in fact counter-helpful (to me).  Things like the
DISCARD command (0005) and the error messages changes (0009) can be
separate patches, but most of the rest should probably be a single patch.

I know you have been asked earlier in the thread to provide smaller
patches, so don't change it just for me, but this is my opinion.

If I reorganize the patch to the following structure, can be it useful for you?

1. really basic functionality (no temporary variables, no def expressions, no memory cleaning)
   SELECT variable
   LET should be supported + doc, + related tests.

2. support for temporary variables (session, transaction scope),
    memory cleaning at the end of transaction

3. PL/pgSQL support
4. pg_dump
5. shadowing warning
6. ... others ...