Re: Session Identifiers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Session Identifiers
Date
List pgsql-general

So Pavel, are are saying there is no such thing as Session ID in PostgreSQL DB at all? Everything is tight to the process, session is accociated with, so in essence pid is session id?

There is backendId and processid, but these id are valid only for one session, and after logout these ids are invalid - usually they are used for fast access to static shared arrays - PGPROC array and similar - mainly for info about snapshots and locks. These arrays are static - new sessions immediately reuse space after destroyed sessions.

But there are not any info comparable with session id on web applications. It is significantly different architecture - fast, simply and different.

Pavel

Oleg