Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output
Date
List pgsql-hackers

čt 5. 8. 2021 v 13:14 odesílatel Platon Pronko <platon7pronko@gmail.com> napsal:
Hi!

pspg looks nice :)

> Your proposal breaks pspg
>
> https://github.com/okbob/pspg

I tried the following (after the patch):

./psql template1 -c "select n, repeat('x', n) as long_column_name from unnest(array[42,210]) as n" | pspg

And it seems that pspg handled the situation without any issue. Also I tried inserting newlines into the output, and pspg still performed without issue. Can you give an example of scenario which should break after changing the record header length?

I think so there can be two basic problems:

a) with line cursor

b) format detection - I try to detect the header line - and I expect this line has the most length of all lines. I use a line with the same length as the column's type info (data, border).

Did you test the wrapped format? It is working

\pset format wrapped
\x
select  * from pg_class;

Regards