Re: proposal: psql \setfileref - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal: psql \setfileref
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

here is new update - some mentioned issues are fixed + regress tests and docs

This might tie into some work I'm doing. Is there any way these filerefs could be used as the inline portion of a COPY command?
i.e. like this:

COPY my_table FROM STDIN
:file_ref
\.

I understand, but I am not sure how difficult implementation it is. This part (COPY input) doesn't support parametrization - and parametrization can have a negative performance impact.

Regards

I may not understand your response. I was thinking we'd want :file_ref to simply 'cat' the file (or program) in place. The fact that the output was consumed by COPY was coincidental. Does that chance your response?

look to code - some parts allows psql session variables, some not - I can use variables in statements - not in data block.

More, there is ambiguity - :xxx should not be part of SQL statement (and then psql variables are possible), but :xxxx should be part of data.

Regards

Pavel