Re: psql: show only failed queries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: psql: show only failed queries
Date
Re: psql: show only failed queries  (Samrat Revagade <revagade.samrat@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

Hi Pavel,

After applying patch, on error condition it displays error message two times as follows:

ERROR:  column "abc" does not exist at character 23
STATEMENT:  insert into ax
values(abc);
psql:a.sql:7: ERROR:  column "abc" does not exist
LINE 2: values(abc);

user may confuse because of repeated error messages. so I think its better to display only one message, one of the possible ways is as follows:

ERROR:  column "abc" does not exist at character 23
STATEMENT:  insert into ax
values(abc);

Am I missing something ?

LINE info is a part of error message and should be eliminated by terse mode

[pavel@localhost ~]$ psql -v ECHO=error  -f test.sql postgres > /dev/null
psql:test.sql:4: ERROR:  syntax error at or near ";"
LINE 2: 10 + ;
             ^
psql:test.sql:4: STATEMENT:  select
10 + ;
psql:test.sql:8: ERROR:  syntax error at end of input
LINE 2: 30 +
             ^
psql:test.sql:8: STATEMENT:  select
30 +

but you can switch to terse mode:

[pavel@localhost ~]$ psql -v ECHO=error -v VERBOSITY=terse -f test.sql postgres > /dev/null
psql:test.sql:4: ERROR:  syntax error at or near ";" at character 13
psql:test.sql:4: STATEMENT:  select
10 + ;
psql:test.sql:8: ERROR:  syntax error at end of input at character 13
psql:test.sql:8: STATEMENT:  select
30 +

What is what you would

I am sending updated patch - buggy statement is printed via more logical psql_error function instead printf

Regards

Pavel

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

On 6/4/14, 11:54 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> updated patch - only one change: query is prefixed by "QUERY:  "

In the backend server log, this is called "STATEMENT:  ".

good idea

updated patch

Pavel