Re: [GENERAL] DROP [TEMP] TABLE syntax, as reason why not? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: [GENERAL] DROP [TEMP] TABLE syntax, as reason why not?
Date
List pgsql-general

> "David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm wondering if there is anything technical preventing someone from making:
>
>> DROP TEMP TABLE tablename;
>
> There is no great need for that because you can get the semantics you're
> asking for with "DROP TABLE pg_temp.tablename".
>
>                         regards, tom lane

This sounds like another syntax inconsistency/asymmetry.

ALTER TABLE pg_temp.tablename ... is OK.
ALTER TEMP TABLE tablename ... is NOT OK.

CREATE TEMP TABLE tablename ... is OK.
CREATE TABLE pg_temp.tablename ... is OK.

DROP TABLE pg_temp.tablename ... is OK.
DROP TEMP TABLE tablename ... is NOT OK.

Unless the standard explicitly forbids it, why not supporting both
syntaxes in all commands using the TABLE predicate?
Those are semantically equivalent. Aren't they?

It can be issue when somebody will do port from PostgreSQL to any other databases. There should be stronger reason for introduction possible NON ANSI SQL feature than syntactic sugar.

Regards

Pavel

--
Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT