Re: NOTIFY in Background Worker - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: NOTIFY in Background Worker
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2015-11-03 17:19:43 +1100, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Thomas Munro
> > <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > This made me wonder what happens if a background worker calls LISTEN.
> > NotifyMyFrontEnd simply logs the notifications, since there is no remote
> > libpq to sent a message to.  Perhaps a way of delivering to background
> > workers could be developed, though of course there are plenty of other kinds
> > of IPC available already.
>
> With this commit - bde39eed0cafb82bc94c40e95d96b5cf47b6f719, it is not possible
> to execute Notify commands inside a parallel worker. Can't we change
> it as disable both listen and notify commands inside a background worker?

Well, parallel workers are something different from general background
workers. I don't see why it'd make sense to allow listen/notify there,
given the rest of the restrictions?

I though about this possibility and I am thinking, so NOTIFY can be pretty useful there.

The background workers can be used for running AT TIME tasks - run import every 10 minutes. The notification can be useful for starting AFTER tasks where the required previous steps should be committed.

If we use workers more for execution custom code (PLpgSQL, PLPython, ...) then notification mechanism can be interesting (both directions).

Regards

Pavel

Andres