Re: Return Table in StoredProceure/Function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Return Table in StoredProceure/Function
Date
List pgsql-general

čt 21. 11. 2019 v 7:34 odesílatel Tony Shelver <tshelver@gmail.com> napsal:
Well then SQL Server breaks that rule big time :)
Most people coming from a SQL Server background expect procedures to return a result set that can be queried, and in-out or out parameters to return variables for further information.

yes, SQL server is absolutely unique in this case. Oracle, DB2, and Postgres has different design

If you have SQL Server background, and you would to write stored procedures, start with doc, please https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpgsql.html

lot of things are really different. Postgres SQL, stored procedures are close to Oracle, and very far to T-SQL

Regards

Pavel

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 17:20, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
İlyas Derse schrieb am 20.11.2019 um 09:18:

> How can I return table in Stored Procedure ? I can do it in function but I
> have inout parameters.So I can not create in function. What can I do this
> case ?
>
> I guess,It should be like for function :
>
> CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION public."test" (INOUT "x" integer, INOUT "y" text)
>
> RETURNS TABLE  ("id" integer,"filesize" character varying(36))AS $$
>  BEGINRETURN QUERYSELECT * FROM    public."tbl_employees" ;
> END;$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Procedures aren't meant to return anything (in Postgres specifically and in Computer Science in general).

If you want to return something use a function.