Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt
Date
List pgsql-hackers

út 4. 4. 2023 v 18:42 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> napsal:
Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com> writes:
> Changed status to Ready for Committer. (100% Guessing here...)

Basically, I want to reject this on the grounds that it's not
useful enough to justify the overhead of marking the "role" GUC
as GUC_REPORT.  The problems with it not going to work properly
with old servers are an additional reason not to like it.

If I understand to next comment correctly, the overhead should not be too big

/*
 * ReportChangedGUCOptions: report recently-changed GUC_REPORT variables
 *
 * This is called just before we wait for a new client query.
 *
 * By handling things this way, we ensure that a ParameterStatus message
 * is sent at most once per variable per query, even if the variable
 * changed multiple times within the query.  That's quite possible when
 * using features such as function SET clauses.  Function SET clauses
 * also tend to cause values to change intraquery but eventually revert
 * to their prevailing values; ReportGUCOption is responsible for avoiding
 * redundant reports in such cases.
 */

But, if I lose the argument and we do commit this, I think it
should just print an empty string when dealing with an old server.
"ERR02000" is an awful idea, not least because it could be a
real role name.

ok

BTW, we should probably get rid of the PQuser() fallback in
%n (session_username()) as well.  It's unlikely that there are
still servers in the wild that don't report "session_authorization",
but if we did find one then the output is potentially misleading.
I'd rather print nothing than something that might not be your
actual session authorization setting.

It should be a separate patch?

Updated patch attached

Regards