Re: proposal: schema variables - doc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal: schema variables - doc
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

po 22. 3. 2021 v 10:47 odesílatel Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> napsal:
Hi

st 17. 3. 2021 v 13:05 odesílatel Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> napsal:

> On 2021.03.13. 07:01 Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> fresh rebase
> [schema-variables-20210313.patch.gz]

Hi Pavel,

I notice that the phrase 'schema variable' is not in the index at the end ('bookindex.html').  Not good.

It is also not in the index at the front of the manual - also not good.

Maybe these two (front and back index) can be added?

I inserted new indexterm "schema variable", and now this part of bookindex.html looks like:

schema variable
altering, ALTER VARIABLE
changing, LET
defining, CREATE VARIABLE
description, Description
removing, DROP VARIABLE

If a user searches the pdf, the first occurrence he finds is at:

  43.13.2.4. Global variables and constants
  (in itself that occurrence/mention is all right, but is should not be the first find, I think)

(I think there was in earlier versions of the patch an entry in the 'contents', i.e., at the front of the manual).  I think it would be good to have it in the front-index, pointing to either LET or CREATE VARIABLE, or maybe even to a small introductory paragraph somewhere else (again, I seem to remember that there was one in an earlier patch version).

I wrote new section to "advanced features" about schema variables

Of the new commands that this patch brings, 'LET' is the most immediately illuminating for a user (even when a CREATE VARIABLE has to be done first.  There is an entry 'LET' in the index (good), but it would be better if that with LET-entry too the phrase 'schema variable' occurred.  (I don't know if that's possible)

Then, in the CREATE VARIABLE paragraphs it says
   'Changing a schema variable is non-transactional by default.'

I think that, unless there exists a mode where schema vars can be made transactional, 'by default' should be deleted (and there is no such 'transactional mode' for schema variables, is there?).  The 'Description' also has such a 'By default' which is better removed for the same reason.

fixed

In the CREATE VARIABLE page the example is:

CREATE VARIABLE var1 AS integer;
SELECT var1;

I suggest to make that

CREATE VARIABLE var1 AS date;
LET var1 = (select current_date);
SELECT var1;

So that the example immediately shows an application of functionality.

done

Thank you for the documentation review.

Updated patch attached

Regards

Pavel

fresh update with merged Eric's changes in documentation

Regards

Pavel

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers