Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission
Date
List pgsql-hackers

* Pavel Stehule (pavel.stehule@gmail.com) wrote:
> this topic should be divided, please. One part - functions for loading
> pg_hba and translating to some table. Can be two, can be one with one
> parameter. It will be used probably by advanced user, and I am able to
> accept it like you or Tomas proposed.

I'm not sure why you'd need a parameter for the function.  The function
could back a view too.  In general, I think you're agreeing with me that
it'd be a useful capability to have.

I have not a strong idea about the best interface. There is not a precedent probably.  Can be some little bit strange to have more functions for reading this config file. So there can be one function with parameter like Tomas proposed. But it is detail - and any user, who use this functionality should be able to work with any variant.

> Second part is the content of view
> pg_hba_conf. It should be only one and should to view a active content. I
> mean a content that is actively used - when other session is started. I am
> strongly against the behave, when I have to close session to refresh a
> content of this view (after reload) - and I am against to see there not
> active content.

Right, we also need a view (or function, or both) which provides what
the *active* configuration of the running postmaster is.  This is
exactly what I was proposing (or what I was intending to, at least) with
pg_hba_active, so, again, I think we're in agreement here.

perfect :)

Regards

Pavel

        Thanks,