Re: gexec from command prompt? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: gexec from command prompt?
Date
List pgsql-general

čt 12. 1. 2023 v 18:25 odesílatel Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> napsal:
Postgresql 12.11

This might be more of a bash question, or it might be a psql vs engine problem.

I want to run this query using psql from a bash prompt:
select format('SELECT ''%s'', MIN(part_date) FROM %s;', table_name, table_name)
from dba.table_structure
order by table_name\gexec

Thus, I added an extra back

$ psql sides -atXc "select format('SELECT ''%s'', MIN(part_date) FROM %s;',
table_name, table_name) from dba.table_structure order by table_name limit
5\\gexec"
select format('SELECT ''%s'', MIN(part_date) FROM %s;', table_name,
table_name) from dba.table_structure order by table_name limit 5\gexec
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "\"
LINE 1: ...) from dba.table_structure order by table_name limit 5\gexec

Removing "\\exec" from the statement, and appending -c "\\gexec" to the psql
command technically worked, but did not run the commands.

I don't know why, but \g* commands don't work from the -c option. But in this case it is not necessary

you can psql -c "xxx" | psql

Regards

Pavel

--