Re: UNNEST with multiple args, and TABLE with multiple funcs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: UNNEST with multiple args, and TABLE with multiple funcs
Date
List pgsql-hackers

2013/8/20 David Fetter <david@fetter.org>
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 07:45:23PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello
>
> Harder maybe but it may still be cleaner in the long run.
> >
> >  Overall, it's my intention here to remove as many as feasible of the old
> >> reasons why one might use an SRF in the select list.
> >>

> > Indeed, it's a big nail in the coffin for SRFs-in-targetlist. Having
> > WITH ORDINALITY and this feature, I would vote for removing
> > SRF-in-targetlist and call the release PostgreSQL 10.0.
> >

> Although I would to remove SRF from targetlist, I don't think so this hurry
> strategy is good idea. We should to provide new functionality and old
> functionality one year as minimum, and we should to announce so this
> feature is deprecated

We could do this in 9.3, but all it would be is an announcement, i.e.
no code change of any nature.

> - and maybe use a GUC for disabling, warning and deprecating.

With utmost respect, I think the general idea of setting SQL grammar
via GUC is a really bad one.  When we've done so in the past, it's
done more harm than good, and we should not repeat it.

so as minumum is controlling warning via GUC, we should to help with identification of problematic queries.

Regards

Pavel

> More, I would to see 9.4 release:).

Same here! :)

> x.4 are happy PostgreSQL releases :)

Each one has been at least baseline happy for me since 7.1.  Some have
made me overjoyed, though.

Cheers,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com

Remember to vote!