Re: wrapping in extended mode doesn't work well with default pager - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: wrapping in extended mode doesn't work well with default pager
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:

> I think this whole exercise has mostly just convinced me we should
> implement an HTTP interface and reimplement psql as a browser app.

I certainly hope not.  I've seen lots of browser apps that were nice
enough to use for casual use by a casual user.  I've never seen one
that was an effective power tool for power users, the way psql is.
Now maybe they are out there and I just don't know about them, but I
have my doubts.

As an additional tool, to each his own.  But a browser-based
replacement for psql, -1 from me.

We can integrate a text console browsers like links, elinks or lynx instead

and we can call a BROWSER instead PAGER when \pset is html

pavel@localhost postgresql92]$ PAGER="elinks -force-html" psql postgres
psql (9.4beta1)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# \pset format html
Output format (format) is html.
postgres=# SELECT * FROM pg_proc;

works perfect

[pavel@localhost postgresql92]$ PAGER="lynx -stdin" psql postgres
psql (9.4beta1)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# \pset format html
Output format (format) is html.
postgres=# SELECT * FROM pg_proc;

Writing html browsing into psql is useless now and I don't think so it is good idea. On second hand better integration mentioned browsers can be very useful.

Regards

Pavel

And as far browser-based things apply to this patch, I must say I've
tried micromanaging the way large amounts of data wrap in a HTML table
when I found the default to be inadequate, and I have not found that
to be noticeably easy, either.

The original version of this patch was only a few lines long and did
one very simple and useful thing: avoiding the printing of whole
screens full of hyphens when in 'expanded mode'.  If we end up
reverting the other parts of this patch, hopefully we don't lose that
part.

Cheers,

Jeff