Re: new unicode table border styles for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: new unicode table border styles for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello

2013/11/21 Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
On 11/21/13, 2:09 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello
>
> I wrote new styles for  psql table borders.
>
> http://postgres.cz/wiki/Pretty_borders_in_psql
>
> This patch is simply and I am think so some styles can be interesting
> for final presentation.
>
> Do you think so this feature is generally interesting and should be in core?

Maybe make the border setting a string containing the various characters
by index.  Then everyone can create their own crazy borders.

I seriously though about it, but not sure if it is good way.

- So we still have to deliver some basic set of styles still.
- People prefer prefabricate solution with simply activation now - so customization use only a few  people
- buitin style requires about 110 bytes and it is safe and verified, dynamic styling requires some parser, maybe some other checks

So for this use case I prefer very primitive (and simple) design as was proposed.

Regards

Pavel