Re: Idea: Avoid JOINs by using path expressions to follow FKs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Idea: Avoid JOINs by using path expressions to follow FKs
Date
List pgsql-hackers

út 30. 3. 2021 v 8:52 odesílatel Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> napsal:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:03:09AM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> On second hand, it can be very nice to have some special strict mode in
> Postgres - maybe slower, not compatible, that disallow some dangerous or
> unsafe queries. But it is possible to solve in extensions, but nobody did
> it. Something like plpgsql_check for SQL - who will write sql_check?

The #1 cause of problems is probably unqualified outer references, and
unfortunately I don't think it's really possible to detect that in an
extension, as the required information is only available in the raw parsetree.

the raw parsetree is available  I think. I didn't check it. But it can be easy to attach or attach a copy to Query structure. Maybe there is no necessary hook. But it can be a good reason for implementing a post parsing hook.

It should be easy to check if all joins are related to foreign key constraints.