Re: \pset xheader_width page as default? (Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: \pset xheader_width page as default? (Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

út 30. 8. 2022 v 16:49 odesílatel Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> napsal:

út 30. 8. 2022 v 16:36 odesílatel Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> napsal:
Re: Pavel Stehule
> pspg requires all lines to have the same width. It can do some corrections
> - but it is hard to detect wanted differences or just plain text format.
>
> can be nice to have the first invisible row with some information about
> used formatting. pspg does some heuristic but this code is not nice and it
> is fragile.

I like pspg and use it myself, but I don't think a tool that does the
right thing by hiding a full screen of ---- from the user should
hinder making the same progress in psql with a simple pager.

ASCII allows to set some metadata, that should be invisible in all correctly implemented pagers.

or these parameters can be sent by pager's command line or via some environment variable. Currently there are only two pagers on the world that support tabular format, and both are created against psql (pspg and ov), so we can define our own protocol. Surely - pspg will have heuristic forever, because I want to support psql, mysql and many others. But it can be fine to switch to some more robust mode. It can be interesting for continuous load via pipe.

Regards

Pavel

Christoph