Re: csv format for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: csv format for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 09:37:26PM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> >         David Fetter wrote:
> >
> > > We have some inconsistency here in that fewer table formats are
> > > supported, but I think asciidoc, etc., do this correctly via
> > > invocations like:
> > >
> > >    psql -P format=asciidoc -o foo.adoc -AtXc 'TABLE foo'
> >
> > -A is equivalent to -P format=unaligned, so in the above
> > invocation, it cancels the effect of -P format=asciidoc.
> > Anyway -P format=name on the command line
> > is the same as "\pset format name" as a
> > metacommand, so it works for all formats.
> >
> > Some formats (unaligned, html)  have corresponding
> > command-line options (-A, -H), and others don't.
> > In this patch, -C is used so that csv would be in the
> > category of formats that can be switched on with the simpler
> > invocation on the command line.
> > If we don't like that, we can leave out -C for future use
> > and let users write -P format=csv.
> > That's not the best choice from my POV though, as csv
> > is a primary choice to export tabular data.
> >

> -C can be used for certificates or some similar. I like csv, but I am not
> sure, so it is too important to get short option (the list of free chars
> will be only shorter)

+1 for not using up a single-letter option for this.

Is there some rule, so alone long options are disallowed? When this software will be more mature, then we cannot to find "inteligent" short option for lot of tasks.

Regards

Pavel

Best,
David.