Re: Oddity with NOT IN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Oddity with NOT IN
Date
Re: Oddity with NOT IN  (Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On 8/4/16 4:53 PM, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
On 2016-08-04 11:23 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
I've got a customer that discovered something odd...

SELECT f1 FROM v1 WHERE f2 not in (SELECT bad FROM v2 WHERE f3 = 1);

does not error, even though bad doesn't exist, but

I'm guessing there's a v1.bad?

This is a common mistake, and also why I recommend always table
qualifying column references when there's more than one table in scope.

Well now I feel dumb...

It would be very useful if we had some way to warn users about stuff like this. Emitting a NOTICE comes to mind.

This can be valid query

Regards

Pavel

855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461