Re: proposal: multiple psql option -c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal: multiple psql option -c
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Well, it's not *entirely* true that it has only backwards compatibility
to recommend it: without -c in its current form, there would be no way
to test multiple-commands-in-one-PQexec cases without hacking up some
custom test infrastructure.  That's not a very strong reason maybe, but
it's a reason.  And backwards compatibility is usually a strong argument
around here anyway.

I've not been following this thread in any detail, but have we considered
the approach of allowing multiple -c and saying that each -c is a separate
PQexec (or backslash command)?  So the semantics of one -c wouldn't change,
but commands submitted through multiple -c switches would behave
relatively unsurprisingly, and we wouldn't need two kinds of switch.

I believe it can work, but there are stronger limit of single PQexec call - only result of last command is displayed.

Regards

Pavel

Another issue here is how -1 ought to interact with multiple -c.