Re: bugfix: --echo-hidden is not supported by \sf statements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: bugfix: --echo-hidden is not supported by \sf statements
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2013/2/27 Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>:
> * Pavel Stehule (pavel.stehule@gmail.com) wrote:
>> we cannot use autocomplete or if we use, then more precious code is on
>> server side still - everywhere  where function autocomplete is used,
>> then function signature is reparesed again on server side.
>
> This doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> We should rip out the auto-complete that we already have for functions
> because the tab-complete queries the database and then the whole string
> is sent to the server and parsed by it?

autocomplete send a SQL query in every iteration to server - so it is
not any new overhead. And if we should to write some smarted routine,
then I prefer server side due better reusability and better exception
processing than psql environment - and a possibility of access to
system caches and auxiliary functions for arguments processing. This
routine can be smart enough to support autocomplete and unique
identification without needless exceptions - and then psql behave can
be more smooth and consistent.

Regards

Pavel