Re: lo_create(oid, bytea) breaks every extant release of libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: lo_create(oid, bytea) breaks every extant release of libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Meanwhile, we have to either revert the addition of lo_create(oid,
> bytea) altogether, or choose a different name for it.  Suggestions?

I wonder if there's any use case where we need to store bytea into
large objects. Don't we already have bytea data type? If the use case
is for large data which does not fit in a tuple, I am afraid that the
query string could become extremely big one.

I know a one use case - and I used it in my one application. For one my customer I wrote a application that ensures a data change between two independent subjects based on XML. It was relative simple architecture - applications solved a communication, and stored procedures solved a content - good success was a using of SQL/XML. After few years the communication protocol was enhanced about attached tiff scans - serialized in base64 in result XML doc. I had to quickly fix a this application with minimal impacts to others applications. And LO API is perfect for transporting binary data from/to database. But next I needed a functions for conversion between bytea and LO.

Regards

Pavel

Best regards,
--