Re: function slower than the same code in an sql file - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: function slower than the same code in an sql file
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hello

plpgsql uses a cached prepared plans for queries - where optimizations
is based on expected values - not on real values. This feature can do
performance problems some times. When you have these problems, then
you have to use a dynamic SQL instead.  This generate plans for only
one usage and then there optimization can be more exact (but it repeat
a plan generation)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-EXECUTING-DYN

Regards

Pavel Stehule