Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On 11/19/2014 06:35 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> I seem to share the same opinion with Andrew: its not going to hurt to
>> include this, but its not gonna cause dancing in the streets either. I
>> would characterize that as 2 very neutral and unimpressed people, plus
>> 3 in favour. Which seems enough to commit.

> That's about right, although I would put it a bit stronger than that.
> But if we're the only people unimpressed I'm not going to object further.

FWIW, I would vote against it also.  I do not find this to be a natural
extension of RAISE; it adds all sorts of semantic issues.  (In particular,
what is the evaluation order of the WHEN versus the other subexpressions
of the RAISE?)

last query looks clean for me. First we evaluate WHEN expression, next (if previous expression is true) we evaluate a expressions inside RAISE statement.

Regards

Pavel