Re: Re: csv format for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Re: csv format for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers

        Pavel Stehule wrote:

> b) the list of pset options is bloating - every possible new format can
> introduce fieldsep_X option

What new format?
The usefulness of fieldsep does not extend outside of xSV, and it's
no suprise that there have been no other use for a fieldsep-like
variable until now, with the other formats supported in psql.

I can imagine format based on \t as field separator, or some other invisible chars.

In fact it's even absurd for any format to use a non-fixed separator
at a place that is key for being parsed unambiguously.

We could even support only the comma and make it non-configurable
based on the fact it's Comma-Separated-Values, not
Whatever-Separated-Values, except that won't do much
to serve the users interests, as the reality is that
people use various separators.

I don't think so allow only comma as separator is the solution.

Regards

Pavel

Best regards,
--