Re: Reassign value of IN parameter in 9.1.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Reassign value of IN parameter in 9.1.1
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

2011/11/24 Gavin Casey <gpjcasey@googlemail.com>:
> This works in 9.1.1 but seems like a bug to me:
>
> create function xout(_x INTEGER)
> returns integer
> as $$
> begin
>    _x = _x * 2;
>    return _x;
> end;
> $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>
> select xout(4);
>
> It would not have compiled in version 8.
>
> I came across such a reassignement doing a code review and was surprised it
> compiled.
>
> Is there a reason for the change in behaviour?

Read only parameters was confusing for people without knowledge
classic SP languages. Typical programming languages allows it. More
this limit has not real reason in PL/pgSQL and after remove , the
parameters are little bit more usable - try to implement buble sort.

Regards

Pavel Stehule