Re: remove undocumented assign syntax from plpgsql doc - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: remove undocumented assign syntax from plpgsql doc
Date
List pgsql-docs

2014/1/12 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 10:06:27PM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> 2014/1/11 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>
>     Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>     > Oh, I think you are right.  I have reverted the patch.  Attached is
>     > proposed documentation for '='.
>
>     Meh.  Variable initialization is only one of multiple cases (assignment,
>     GET DIAGNOSTICS; maybe others, I've not examined the grammar).  Also,
>     if we do it like this, we're implying that both := and = are equally
>     preferred, which might not be the impression we want to leave.
>

> GET DIAGNOSTICS is defined by standard - and there "=" should be allowed only -
> although we allow ":=" too. It is a embedded SQL statement - although it is
> implemented as plpgsql statement.

OK, docs updated for that.  I assume OPEN and FOR also can take := or =,
right?

no, there are not used assign_operator

It is used only in DECLARE DEFAULT, ASSIGN and GET DIAGNOSTICS

> Same situation is with UPDATE statement - we don't allow ":=" there.
>

>     I'd be a bit inclined to just stick a NOTE somewhere saying that "="
>     can be used in place of ":=" for assignment.
>

> ok
>
> If we accept it and we close this topic, then following comment should be
> removed
>
> assign_operator : '='   /* not documented because it might be removed someday *

Comment updated.  Patch attached.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com