Re: Idea: Avoid JOINs by using path expressions to follow FKs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Idea: Avoid JOINs by using path expressions to follow FKs
Date
List pgsql-hackers

If using the -> notation, you would only need to manually
inspect the tables involved in the remaining JOINs;
since you could be confident all uses of -> cannot affect cardinality.

I think this would be a win also for an expert SQL consultant working
with a new complex data model never seen before.

I did not feel comfortable when I read about this proprietary extension of SQL.  I can accept and it can be nice to support ANSI/SQL object's referentions, but implementing own syntax for JOIN looks too strange. I  don't see too strong benefit in inventing new syntax and increasing the complexity and possible disorientation of users about correct syntax. Some users didn't adopt a difference between old joins and modern joins, and you are inventing a third syntax.

Pavel