Re: proposal - psql - use pager for \watch command - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal - psql - use pager for \watch command
Date
List pgsql-hackers

ne 19. 4. 2020 v 19:27 odesílatel Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> napsal:
Hi,

last week I finished pspg 3.0 https://github.com/okbob/pspg . pspg now supports pipes, named pipes very well. Today the pspg can be used as pager for output of \watch command. Sure, psql needs attached patch.

I propose new psql environment variable PSQL_WATCH_PAGER. When this variable is not empty, then \watch command starts specified pager, and redirect output to related pipe. When pipe is closed - by pager, then \watch cycle is leaved.

If you want to test proposed feature, you need a pspg with cb4114f98318344d162a84b895a3b7f8badec241 commit.

Then you can set your env

export PSQL_WATCH_PAGER="pspg --stream"
psql

SELECT * FROM pg_stat_database;