Re: proposal - log_full_scan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal - log_full_scan
Date
List pgsql-hackers

so 17. 4. 2021 v 20:36 odesílatel Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> napsal:
On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 05:22:59PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> so 17. 4. 2021 v 17:09 odesílatel Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> napsal:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 04:36:52PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > > today I worked on postgres's server used for critical service. Because the
> > > application is very specific, we had to do final tuning on production
> > > server. I fix lot of queries, but I am not able to detect fast queries that
> > > does full scan of middle size tables - to 1M rows. Surely I wouldn't log
> > > all queries. Now, there are these queries with freq 10 per sec.
> > >
> > > Can be nice to have a possibility to set a log of  queries that do full
> > > scan and read more tuples than is specified limit or that does full scan of
> > > specified tables.
> > >
> > > What do you think about the proposed feature?
> >
> > Are you able to use auto_explain with auto_explain.log_min_duration ?
>
> Unfortunately,  I cannot use it. This server executes 5K queries per
> seconds, and I am afraid to decrease log_min_duration.
>
> The logs are forwarded to the network and last time, when users played with
> it, then they had problems with the network.
..
> The fullscan of this table needs about 30ms and has 200K rows. So
> decreasing log_min_duration to this value is very risky.

auto_explain.sample_rate should allow setting a sufficiently low value of
log_min_duration.  It exists since v9.6.

It cannot help - these queries are executed a few times per sec. In same time this server execute 500 - 1000 other queries per sec

Regards

Pavel

--
Justin