Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dilip Kumar
Subject Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 12:38 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 2:18 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have put the similar logic for relmap_update WAL replay as well,
> >
> > There was some mistake in the last patch, basically, for relmap update
> > also I have checked the missing tablespace directory but I should have
> > checked the missing database directory so I have fixed that.
> >
> > > Now, is it possible to get the FPI without smgr_create wal in other
> > > cases?  If it is then that problem is orthogonal to this path, but
> > > anyway I could not find any such scenario.
> >
> > I have digged further into it, tried manually removing the directory
> > before XLOG_FPI, but I noticed that during FPI also
> > XLogReadBufferExtended() take cares of creating the missing files
> > using smgrcreate() and that intern take care of missing directory
> > creation so I don't think we have any problem here.
>
> I don't understand whether XLOG_RELMAP_UPDATE should be just doing
> smgrcreate()

XLOG_RELMAP_UPDATE is for the complete database so for which relnode
it will create smgr?  I think you probably meant
TablespaceCreateDbspace()?

 as we would for most WAL records or whether it should be
> adopting the new system introduced by
> 49d9cfc68bf4e0d32a948fe72d5a0ef7f464944e. I wrote about this concern
> over here:

okay, thanks.

--
Regards,