Re: BUG #16739: Temporary files not deleting from data folder on disk - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dilip Kumar
Subject Re: BUG #16739: Temporary files not deleting from data folder on disk
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Jun 5, 2023 at 3:29 PM Adrien Nayrat <adrien.nayrat@anayrat.info> wrote:

> > I am experiencing the same issue on an up-to-date Postgres (13.11).
> > I have many files corresponding to temporary tables (for example
> > t7_4191281453.90). These files are not cleaned until we manually restart
> > Postgres (all client session are closed).
> >

> Replying to myself when reading this item in PG 14 release notes:
>
> Remove temporary files after backend crashes (Euler Taveira)
>
> Previously, such files were retained for debugging purposes. If
> necessary, deletion can be disabled with the new server parameter
> remove_temp_files_after_crash.
>

> I understand, it is expected to keep these files for debugging purpose
> after a recovery. And since 14, we can ask Postgres to clean them thanks
> to remove_temp_files_after_crash

IIUC, this flag is for the temp files created for query level
operation so this will clean up the files like  "pgsql_tmp" but in
this thread, we are talking about the files related to temp tables
starting with "t_"

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar