Re: Parallel bitmap heap scan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dilip Kumar
Subject Re: Parallel bitmap heap scan
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 1:42 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> But what's the impact on performance?  Presumably parallel bitmap heap
> scan was already slower than the non-parallel version, and that commit
> presumably widens the gap.  Seems like something to worry about...

I have checked the performance in my local machine and there is no
impact on the gap.
If you see the explain analyze output of all queries which got
benefited which parallel bitmap map heap scan, BitmapIndex node is
taking very less time compare to BitmapHeap.

Actual execution time on head (before efficient hash table patch)        BitmapHeapNode      BitmapIndexNode
Q6           38997                              6951
Q14         14516                                569
Q15         28530                              1442

Out of 4 queries, Q4 is converted from parallel seqscan to parallel
bitmap scan so no impact.
Q14, Q15 time spent in BitmapIndex node is < 5% of time spent in
BitmapHeap Node. Q6 it's 20% but I did not see much impact on this in
my local machine. However I will take the complete performance reading
and post the data on my actual performance machine.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar