Re: Logical Replication - behavior of ALTER PUBLICATION .. DROP TABLE and ALTER SUBSCRIPTION .. REFRESH PUBLICATION - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dilip Kumar
Subject Re: Logical Replication - behavior of ALTER PUBLICATION .. DROP TABLE and ALTER SUBSCRIPTION .. REFRESH PUBLICATION
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 3:08 PM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 2:53 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > IIUC the logical replication only replicate the tables in publication, I think
> > > when the tables that aren't in publication should not be replicated.
> > >
> > > Attached the patch that fixes it.  Thought?
> > >

> > Instead of doing this, I would expect that the RelationSyncCache entry
> > should be removed when the relation is dropped from the publication.
> > So if that is done then it will reload the publication and then it
> > will not find that that relation as published and it will ignore the
> > changes.  But the patch doesn't seem to be exactly on that line.  Am I
> > missing something here?
>
> IIUC, it's not possible to remove the cache entry inside
> rel_sync_cache_publication_cb, because we don't receive the relid of
> the alter publication .. dropped relation in the invalidation
> callback. See the below comment,

Hmm, yeah because nothing changed to the relation the change is for
the publication so the invalidation is not registered for the relation
entry.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar