Re: Patch: Global Unique Index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dilip Kumar
Subject Re: Patch: Global Unique Index
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 9:39 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 08:52:16PM +0530, Dilip Kumar wrote:
> > but now you will have one gigantic index and which will be vacuumed
> > every time we vacuum any of the partitions.
>
> This patch isn't implemented as "one gigantic index", though.

If this patch is for supporting a global index then I expect that the
global index across all the partitions is going to be big.  Anyway, my
point was about vacuuming the common index every time you vacuum any
of the partitions of the table is not the right way and that will make
global indexes less usable.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar