Re: Is Recovery actually paused? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dilip Kumar
Subject Re: Is Recovery actually paused?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 12:17 PM Yugo NAGATA <nagata@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

Thanks for looking into this.

> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 20:36:48 +0530
> Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 7:50 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Right
> > >
> > > To make them consistent, we need to call recoveryPausesHere()

> > > The idea makes sense to me.  I will try to change the patch as per the
> > > suggestion.
> >
> > Here is the patch based on this idea.
>
> I reviewd this patch.
>
> First, I made a recovery conflict situation using a table lock.
>
> Standby:
> #= begin;
> #= select * from t;
>
> Primary:
> #= begin;
> #= lock t in ;
>
> After this, WAL of the table lock cannot be replayed due to a lock acquired
> in the standby.
>
> Second, during the delay, I executed pg_wal_replay_pause() and
> pg_is_wal_replay_paused(). Then, pg_is_wal_replay_paused was blocked until
> max_standby_streaming_delay was expired, and eventually returned true.
>
> I can also see the same behaviour by setting recovery_min_apply_delay.
>
> So, pg_is_wal_replay_paused waits for recovery to get paused and this works
> successfully as expected.
>
> However, I wonder users don't expect pg_is_wal_replay_paused to wait.
> Especially, if max_standby_streaming_delay is -1, this will be blocked forever,
> although this setting may not be usual. In addition, some users may set
> recovery_min_apply_delay for a large.  If such users call pg_is_wal_replay_paused,
> it could wait for a long time.
>
> At least, I think we need some descriptions on document to explain
> pg_is_wal_replay_paused could wait while a time.

Ok

> Also, how about adding a new boolean argument to pg_is_wal_replay_paused to
> control whether this waits for recovery to get paused or not? By setting its
> default value to true or false, users can use the old format for calling this
> and the backward compatibility can be maintained.

So basically, if the wait_recovery_pause flag is false then we will
immediately return true if the pause is requested?  I agree that it is
good to have an API to know whether the recovery pause is requested or
not but I am not sure is it good idea to make this API serve both the
purpose?  Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

> As another comment, while pg_is_wal_replay_paused is blocking, I can not cancel
> the query. I think CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() is necessary in the waiting loop.
>

> +                   errhint("Recovery control functions can only be executed during recovery.")));
>
> There are a few tabs at the end of this line.

I will fix.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar