Re: Logical Replication - behavior of ALTER PUBLICATION .. DROP TABLE and ALTER SUBSCRIPTION .. REFRESH PUBLICATION - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dilip Kumar
Subject Re: Logical Replication - behavior of ALTER PUBLICATION .. DROP TABLE and ALTER SUBSCRIPTION .. REFRESH PUBLICATION
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 3:08 PM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 2:53 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > IIUC the logical replication only replicate the tables in publication, I think
> > > when the tables that aren't in publication should not be replicated.
> > >
> > > Attached the patch that fixes it.  Thought?
> > >

> > Instead of doing this, I would expect that the RelationSyncCache entry
> > should be removed when the relation is dropped from the publication.
> > So if that is done then it will reload the publication and then it
> > will not find that that relation as published and it will ignore the
> > changes.  But the patch doesn't seem to be exactly on that line.  Am I
> > missing something here?
>
> IIUC, it's not possible to remove the cache entry inside
> rel_sync_cache_publication_cb, because we don't receive the relid of
> the alter publication .. dropped relation in the invalidation
> callback. See the below comment,
>
>     /*
>      * There is no way to find which entry in our cache the hash belongs to so
>      * mark the whole cache as invalid.
>      */
>     hash_seq_init(&status, RelationSyncCache);
>     while ((entry = (RelationSyncEntry *) hash_seq_search(&status)) != NULL)
>         entry->replicate_valid = false;

So basically your point is that all the RelationSyncEntry are getting
invalidated right?  And if so then in get_rel_sync_entry we will just
check the updated publication no?
I am referring to the below code.  So ideally this should be already
working if the relcaches are getting invalidated?

get_rel_sync_entry
{
entry = (RelationSyncEntry *) hash_search(RelationSyncCache,
(void *) &relid,
HASH_ENTER, &found);
Assert(entry != NULL);

/* Validate the entry */