Re: [JDBC] Logical Replication: adjacent COMMIT messages with thewrong StartLSN - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Vladimir Gordiychuk
Subject Re: [JDBC] Logical Replication: adjacent COMMIT messages with thewrong StartLSN
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Logical replication slot always streams COMMIT messages with message position set to TXN's end LSN, which is the location where the COMMIT message ends in the WAL. This is existing behaviour in v9.6.

No. It depends on callback that was execute for output plugin.
typedef struct OutputPluginCallbacks
{   LogicalDecodeStartupCB startup_cb;   LogicalDecodeBeginCB begin_cb;   LogicalDecodeChangeCB change_cb;   LogicalDecodeCommitCB commit_cb;   LogicalDecodeMessageCB message_cb;   LogicalDecodeFilterByOriginCB filter_by_origin_cb;   LogicalDecodeShutdownCB shutdown_cb;
} OutputPluginCallbacks;
If output plugin send message to logical replication stream inside commit_cb will be use transaction end lsn[1].
If output plugin send message to logical replication stream inside change_cb(insert/update/delete) will be use lsn of start particular change[2].

Also you should be careful if add to buffer changes from  change_cb callback and then send multiple message on commit_cb, because each message send from commit_cb will have lsn equal to transaction end that can lead to lost data after restart if some part of buffer wan't send.

In JDBC driver streaming replication code, StartLSN = streamed message position. Therefore, for COMMIT messages, StartLSN = TXN end LSN. Therefore, for each COMMIT message, if I call stream.setAppliedLSN(stream.getLastReceiveLSN()), then stream.setFlushedLSN(stream.getLastReceiveLSN()), then stream.forceUpdateStatus() this will set confirmed_flush_lsn to end location of TXN but no further. Therefore, on reconnection, we will receive next unprocessed TXN, even if its COMMIT message follows immediately after previous TXN COMMIT message in WAL (like in my original post example).

Yes. Because logical replication will find all not completed transaction on specified lsn during startup and start stream them.