Re: Select works only when connected from login postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joseph Brenner
Subject Re: Select works only when connected from login postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Looking back on the order of events, I think it went like this:

Back in around May, I was annoyed at pager behavior and wanted to get
rid of them-- I tried a blank PAGER setting in my .bashrc (and forgot
about it).

I also noticed the psql option "\pset pager off".  For not particular
reason, it didn't occur to me to just put that in a .psqlrc file, and
instead I had it in a command-line alias:

  alias psql="psql --pset='pager=off'"

Then more recently I started experimenting with a new build of 9.6.1:

The behavior at that stage looked like a difference between 9.4 (run
with a bare "psql") and 9.6 (run using a path to the new build).

Then later, as I was experimenting with multiple postgres
installations, I  got more careful about using paths to make sure I
knew which one I was running.  That cut the alias out of the picture,
and the .bashrc setting took over:

The behavior at that stage looked like a difference between user login
'doom' and 'postgres'.

I kept chasing after obscure file permissions settings or postgres
internal permissions (maybe there was something about the new row
level security features?), and so on.  The folks here kept assuming it
had to be some kind of version skew cross-talk between the different
installations.

Something I'd thought of vaguely (and wish I'd tried) was just
creating a new user and trying to reproduce the behavior in a clean
account set-up (there are always options to suppress rc files for
testing, but suppressing .bashrc isn't that simple).

The next thing on the list for me was to remove everything except the
new 9.6.1 pgdb binary install: by itself that wouldn't have gotten any
closer to isolating the problem, but it would've eliminated some
distractions.

Oddly enough, if I'd been reading up-to-date pg docs, I might not have
tried the .psqlrc setup that pointed the finger at the pager
situation: that was just something I was doing on the side, and I
didn't think it'd have any effect on a --command invocation, so I
didn't worry about it.

So yeah, some better messaging when PAGER is mangled wouldn't hurt, if
that's possible.  Falling back to "pager off" would make sense to me.