PostgreSQL crashes while running perf with static tracepoints - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Wei Shan
Subject PostgreSQL crashes while running perf with static tracepoints
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi all!

I'm doing some testing recently with perf_events(3.10) and postgresql 10.5 on centos 7.5 with kernel 3.10.0-862.3.2.el7.x86_64

  • On 1 terminal, I'm running pgbench against a postgresql 10.5 server
    • /usr/pgsql-10/bin/pgbench -c 1 -j 1 -T 10000 test -P 5
  • On another terminal, I'm getting the stats for static probes in postgresql with the following command.
    • perf stat -e sdt_postgresql:transaction__start,sdt_postgresql:transaction__commit -a -- sleep 60
  • postgres will crash upon running the perf stat command above
  • I have used gdb to try and capture the stack trace as below against the server process. I did try and attach to the postmaster process but it didn't generated any stack trace
Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0x00007f61b75ecca1 in __libc_send (fd=11, buf=buf@entry=0x2128038, n=n@entry=18, flags=flags@entry=0) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/send.c:27
27     return INLINE_SYSCALL (sendto, 6, fd, buf, n, flags, NULL, (size_t) 0);

I'm not sure what went wrong here.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated!

Thanks!

--