Re: splitting up tables based on read/write frequency of columns - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Keller
Subject Re: splitting up tables based on read/write frequency of columns
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

I'm pretty sure PostgreSQL can handle this.
But since you asked with a theoretic background,
it's probably worthwhile to look at column stores (like [1]).

-S.

[*] http://citusdata.github.io/cstore_fdw/

> This is really a theoretical/anecdotal question, as I'm not at a scale yet where this would measurable.  I want to
investigatewhile this is fresh in my mind...

> I recall reading that unless a row has columns that are TOASTed, an `UPDATE` is essentially an `INSERT + DELETE`,
withthe previous row marked for vacuuming.