Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Keller
Subject Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought
Date
Responses Re: Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought  (Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Recently Mike Stonebraker identified four areas where "old elephants"
lack performance [1]:

1. Buffering/paging
2. Locking/Multithreading
3. WAL logging
4. Latches (aka memory locks for concurrent access of btree structures
in buffer pool?).

He claims having solved these issues while retaining SQL and ACID.
But the only issue I understood is #1 by loading all tuples in-memory.
=> Are there any ideas on how to tell Postgres to aggressively load
all data into memory (issue #1)?

All remaining issues make me wonder.
I actually doubt that there are alternatives even theoretically.
=> Can anyone help explaining me issues 2,3 and 4, their solutions,
and why Postgres would be unable to resolve them?

Yours, Stefan

[1] "NewSQL vs NoSQL for New OLTP", NoSQLNow! Conference, August 2011.
http://voltdb.com/resources/videos