Re: Patch to .gitignore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Subject Re: Patch to .gitignore
Date
Re: Patch to .gitignore  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@gmail.com> wrote:
There hasn't been general agreement on the merits of particular .gitignore rules of this sort.

You could hide your own favorite patterns by putting this into your ~/.gitignore that isn't part of the repo, configuring this globally, thus:
git config --global core.excludesfile '~/.gitignore'

Yes... I know that...

That has the consequence that you can hide whatever things your own tools like to create, and not worry about others' preferences.

Us Emacs users can put things like *~, #*#, and such into our own "ignore" configuration; that doesn't need to bother you, and vice-versa for your vim-oriented patterns.

I agree with you about vim-oriented patterns, because its a particular tool, but "ctags" and "etags" be part of postgres source tree and its generate some output inside them, so I think we must ignore it.

IMHO all output generated by tools inside the source tree that will not be committed must be added to .gitignore

Regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL