Re: Custom text type for title text - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Subject Re: Custom text type for title text
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Em qui, 3 de jan de 2019 às 20:22, Daniel Heath <daniel@heath.cc> escreveu:
Hi All,

I've frequently seen an issue in applications which store titles (eg of books, events, user profiles) where duplicate values are not properly vetted.

The 'citext' type is helpful here, but I'd be keen to go further.

I propose a 'titletext' type, which has the following properties when compared for equality:
 * Case insensitivity (like 'citext')
 * Only considers characters in [:alnum:] (that is, ignores spaces, punctuation, etc)

This would be useful for a range of situations where it's important to avoid entering duplicate values.

Given the discussion at https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKFQuwY9u14TqG8Yzj%3DfAB0tydvvtK7ibgFEx3tegbPWsGjJpg%40mail.gmail.com I'd lean towards making this type not automatically coerce to text (to avoid surprising behaviour when comparing text to titletext).

Is a suitable patch likely to be accepted?

You don’t need touch the core to do that. Just implement it as an extension and share throught some channel like pgxn.org.

Note that citext also is an extension and released as a contrib module.

Regards,

--
   Fabrízio de Royes Mello         Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/