Re: pl/perl and recent perl versions - failing to load internal modules - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Hunsaker
Subject Re: pl/perl and recent perl versions - failing to load internal modules
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Alex Hunsaker <badalex@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Toby Corkindale
> <toby.corkindale@strategicdata.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi Alex,

>> However the following code fails:
>> =>  do $$ "\N{U+263A}" =~ /[[:punct:]]/$$ language plperl;
>> ERROR:  Unable to load utf8.pm into plperl at line 1.
>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
>> CONTEXT:  PL/Perl anonymous code block

> One thing you might try is plperl.on_plperl_init = "require
> 'utf8_heavy.pl'; require unicore/Heavy.pl'; or maybe just
> plperl.on_plperl_init = 'use Unicode::UCD;'

If you are up to recompiling postgres, you might try this patch. Its
untested, but the basic idea is to always allow require 'utf8.pm' to
work in plperl. Near as I can tell utf8.pm is a strange package, when
we look to see if we already have it loaded it, we can't find it for
example. Which would explain why plperl.on_init = ' use utf8;' does
not work for you. I don't have the time to dig through a bunch of perl
versions to find out whats going on with utf8.pm.

I suspect this will make it fail on loading a different module (my gut
says utf8 is going to want to load unicore stuff once its loaded) but
it would be interesting to see nonetheless.

Attachment