Followup Timestamp to timestamp with TZ conversion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Volk
Subject Followup Timestamp to timestamp with TZ conversion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

this is a followup to a performance optimization during the conversion of a column from a timestamp column to a "timestamp with tz" column. The initial patch I am referring to is this one:

and the previous discussion on this list is this one:

The problem is that I have a 60TB+ PG installation for which we need to modify all of the timestamp columns to timestamp with tz. The data in the columns are already in UTC so we can benefit from the patch listed above. Yet there are 2 cases in which we are having an issue.

1) Index rebuilds: The patch is only avoiding a rewrite of the table data but is not avoiding a rebuild of the indexes. Following the logic in the patch above this should also be avoidable under the same condition

2) Partitioned tables with the timestamp as partition column: In this case the current version does not allow a modification of the column data type at all. Yet also following the logic in the patch this can also be allowed under the side condition if no table rewrite is required.

Question: What chances to we have to get the optimisations from the patch above also "promoted" to the other 2 cases I listed?

Cheers,
Peter