Re: Collation - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Moritz Schepp
Subject Re: Collation
Date
List pgsql-novice
Thanks Tom for the quick answer!

that's good to know and the unaccent module seems like it should do the folding. However, doesn't that mean that a specific index would have to be created for every field I want to use this for (unless a text search context would be used)?

Regards,
Moritz

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Moritz Schepp <moritz.schepp@gmail.com> writes:
> My problem is that I don't (even) get the german collation to work, the
> following query yields 'f':

> SELECT 'a' COLLATE "german" LIKE 'ä' COLLATE "german";

> Shouldn't that be working?

No.  Postgres interprets COLLATE as having to do only with sort ordering.
What you want here, IIUC, is to do accent-stripping on the data and/or the
LIKE pattern before you compare them.  Take a look at the contrib/unaccent
module for one solution.

                        regards, tom lane